Sunday, November 1, 2009

18 septembre 2009

SO much has happened in just one week! I have started classes and love them so far. I’m taking 3 literature courses (Terrorism and Literature, An American in Paris: 1920-1960, and Transcontinental Hemingway), 3 French language courses, 2 German language courses, and a Multiculturalism and Power-Sharing (case study: N. Ireland, Lebanon, and Iraq) course. Classes only meet once a week, but you meet for nearly 2 hours. It will be a really different schedule than I would have in Oxford, but I’m looking forward to it. In my department, Faculté des Lettres, students try out courses for the first 3 weeks. I can go to any classes I am interested in for 3 weeks and then must register for the courses I am actually going to take after the third week. Like trial and error - I really like it that way.

I had a full day of courses Monday. Walking into that first class at 8 am on Monday was a little frightening not knowing what to expect at all, but everything worked out great. Monday, I met Jen – the first American I have met in Fribourg! I can’t believe it took me this long to run into another American – she was a breath of fresh air and familiarity. Jen is from LA, but is studying in Fribourg through a University of Arizona exchange. She’s great! Monday night, I went to Anna’s place for dinner… she made us a great meal! She’ll never admit she’s good at cooking, but I love it! Anna was the first person I met in Fribourg! It’s a really funny how we met. I was running a few days ago with my Ipod and I saw her walking towards me waving her arms. She was lost and looking for directions… I definitely don’t know my way around yet and was probably lost myself so couldn’t be of much help to her in getting unlost, but we had the best time talking. She got my information and voila, my first friend in Fribourg! It just stands as proof that friends can be found in the strangest of places J

Tuesday – not so many classes but a great, great night! Anna and I met to go to an exchange student/ Erasmus (European exchange network) apératif get-together. This was just what I was looking for – we met SO many people! I met people from all over – Germany, France, Finland, Canada, Norway, Luxembourg, Belgium, England, just to name a few…

Wednesday night, I went with a group I met at apératifs Tuesday to a back-to-school party at the To See Club in Fribourg.

1 comment: